It will soon be time for every unit in the Great Sauk Trail Council to renew its membership with the Boy Scouts of America via the Online Annual Recharter system. Your unit’s membership roster will be available Online for reviewing and updating by January 9, 2012. All Recharter materials, including payment, forms and signatures, should be turned in at your District's February 9th Roundtable or to Council Headquarters by February 10 .
To get started, each unit must identify a Renewal Processor – the person who will be using the Internet Recharter system to identify returning members, add new members, and update information for an individual or the chartered organization. The Renewal Processor should be familiar with the members and leaders of your unit to ensure all information provided is correct.Your unit’s Renewal Processor will need to have access to Microsoft Internet Explorer browser in order for this application to work. AOL can be used to access the internet, but you must open Internet Explorer to view the Recharter application correctly.
Each District offers Internet Recharter training. Some will incorporate it in their Roundtables, while others offer special sessions as needed. The Renewal Processor should attend training if this is their first time as Renewal Processor. Those who have served as Renewal Processors in previous years would also be good resources to tap into. There is a TUTORIAL for the BSA Internet Recharter system, accessible through the link below.
What can you do now to ensure that your Recharter goes smoothly? This is an ideal time to make sure your membership list is up to date, that you have correct spelling of names and contact information for youth and adults, and that you know who is staying and who is dropping. It would also be a good idea to contact your Charter Organization Executive and set a date for them to sign the completed paperwork. This gives your Renewal Processor a deadline for getting the Internet Recharter completed, which will result in a hardcopy roster that requires the signatures of your unit leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, Crew Advisor), and your Charter Organization Executive. If you are submitting adult applications, they also require a signature from your Charter Organization.
Recharter packets have been distributed or made available in all Districts, either at Roundtables or through Commissioners. Recharter packets contain a complete instruction booklet (also available at the link below) outlining the Recharter process, relevant forms, and a payment sheet that includes your unit’s unique access code for the Internet Recharter system.
Here is the suggested timeline for completion of your Recharter:
Starting in October
- Identify your unit's Renewal Processor.
- Ensure that leaders have taken Youth Protection Training within the last 18 months, or get them to training (online and live sessions are offered).
Youth Protection Training is required for all adults at the time of recharter. Adults without YPT will slow or prevent your unit's Charter renewal processing.
- Commissioners conduct Roster Checks with Unit Leaders in November to find discrepancies in membershipand check Youth Protection Training for registered Adults.
- Journey to Excellence ( Quality Unit Award) forms with baseline data ( membership, retention) will be distributed/made available through Commissioner and District Professionals.
- Contact your Chartered Organization Head to ensure they will be available in January/February to sign documents. Set target date for completion BEFORE February 9th, 2012.
Recharter Packets with login ( access) codes will be available for distribution at Roundtables and/or by Commissioners/District Professionals.
By December 16th-Turn into Council:
- Applications for any unit members not on the Council ( Scoutnet-generated) Roster
- Proof of Youth Protection training <2 years for Registered Leaders
- Relax and enjoy the holidays.
January 1-8, 2012 BSA Registration system is refreshed for 2012.
January 9, 2012 (estimated day that BSA Internet Recharter system opens)
January 9-February 9
- Confirm and correct information on the working roster. Contact every family to verify information, get payment (where applicable).
- Complete Internet Recharter process (through "Submit") and print the Charter Application.
- Gather applications and any monies needed. Ensure ScoutShop account has sufficient funds if you are paying from it.
- Get signatures for member applications and Unit Leader and Chartered Organization Head signatures fo the Charter Application.
- Use the Recharter Payment Sheet to calculate total fees due (Recharter fee, memberships and Boy's Life from Internet system, plus insurance) Attach payment if not using ScoutShop account.
Additional documents in Packet: Annual Charter Agreement and Journey to Excellence Scoresheet
Recommended Excel versions of the JTE Scoresheets can be downloaded at:
download forms here
- Turn in all Recharter documents and payment by this date OR SOONER!
- Charter Renewals require the signature of a District Representative, which can be a Unit Commissioner, Assistant District Commissioner, District Commissioner or District Professional. Districts may have different 'channels' of submission, so please follow your District's process.
- Charter Renewal materials can be submitted to Council Headquarters and will be forwarded to the appropriate District Representative.
If you are the renewal processor for your unit and have the 2012 access code for your unit, start the process by the link below: